Contributors

27 September - MRI results

GP appointment this morning, and the results of my MRI scan are in. My tumour has increased in size since January but the more accurate MRI scan gives a better picture of what has happened. There is a lot of swelling (oedema) in the area of the tumour which makes it look bigger than it is. This is quite common with brain tumours, apparently. The brain does not have an effective way to get rid of dead tumour cells. So some of the apparent increase could be a result of the treatment.

I was impressed with the IT systems that our NHS has and the way it allows all the doctors involved - including our GP - to be kept up to date on what is happening. My case is going to be discussed by a multi-disciplinary team (MDT) consisting of neurologist, oncologist, surgeon and anyone else who might have an input to it, from 3 different hospitals. It appears that this is due to happen some time at the beginning of October. Until then we just have to be patient.

In the meantime I will carry on with the steroids. I'm quite happy with the way I'm feeling at the moment. Even the taxi driver taking us to the surgery said I'm looking well. Apart from the balance problem whilst walking - which discourages me from taking much exercise - I think I'm doing quite well. I am becoming a bit of a couch potato and spend most of my time sitting in my recliner listening to classical music via internet radio. It could be a lot worse.

For the time being I've given up hope of ever having my driving licence reinstated. Olga has given up driving lessons as well. She was finding learning to drive too stressful on top of worrying about my health. Sometimes she didn't sleep at night and then had to try to drive in the morning. So I think we'll just have to stay a no-car family. The thing to be thankful for is that I still have mobility - even if not perfect mobility - on my own two feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment