Contributors

6 September - Less than 89 kilos

Another four weeks with nothing much to report. I'm feeling pretty well. People who see me in person or who saw the picture taken on our 10th wedding anniversary tell me I look very healthy. So I must be.

My weight this morning was 89.2kg. It has gone below 90kg and stayed below 90kg for the last 4 or 5 days. So I'm almost down to the weight I was before I went into hospital and have achieved my goal of getting down to 89 kilos.

I feel perfectly normal when I'm at home doing nothing much. It's only when I try to do something more physically or intellectually challenging that what I believe to be the long-term effects of the radiotherapy make themselves felt. I now have a very poor short-term memory. And walking further than into town and back or to the park feels like quite hard work.

I have been walking without a stick but still have moments when I feel I am going to fall over. The doctors don't seem to have anything to say about this. Our GP said it might be one of those things that I will just have to live with. One day I will try and see if I can still ride my bike. I did ride it once since my brain surgery - just down to the end of the cul de sac and back. But then I didn't have these giddy spells - though they only happen when I'm standing up.

I feel as if I could drive a car if only I was allowed to. I have written to the DVLA to ask what I have to do to get my driving licence back. I'm still awaiting a reply to that. It's been more than a year now and I have never - touch wood -had any seizures or fits. But the GP said I might have to wait two years before I can get it back.

Now that I'm feeling so much better the inability to drive is making me increasingly frustrated. Olga is still having lessons, but I'm not yet willing to bet on which of us gets our driving licence first!

6 comments:

  1. Pleased to hear things are going well Julian. You do look pretty fit in the photo with Olga (first time I have seen her picture).

    It would be very good for you to get the driving licence back, but can imagine they'd be cautious and take their time before allowing you behind the wheel.

    In the meantime there is ham radio and that bike to wobble on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Roger....in the picture you look great! I can understand the frustration with the driver license, it's a freedom many of us see as a right and it's not. Nice to see Olga is out taking lessons being from Canada when I was in England last year I for sure would have had to take lesson just to make sure I was not driving down the other side of the road....noticed I said "other side" and not wrong side!! When in England my XYL's aunts reminded me of this constantly. Thanks for the report Julian I was wondering how you were doing, but I did read you had taken the speaker out of a KX3. I do believe a short time ago that would had been a huge challenge. So when I read that I figured things were getting better.
    Take care Julian you are still in my and Julie's prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear things are still going OK for you Julian. Long may it continue. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you are feeling fine. I have flew to Crete and it was so nice!! Have found that walking in a swimming pool helps my legs so much and sleeping without pills, so have joined the local pool. The Dr is going to see if I can have hydrotherapy for legs.
    Take care Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're still pulling for you on this side of the Big Pond. Prayers are being lifted up on a regular basis. I have really enjoyed your site, and it has been a great help in the nearly four year that I've been a ham. You've an "Elmer in absentia" of sorts. We've only emailed back and forth a few times, when I was looking for an antenna for my FT817, but your site has always been a big help. Just know that your efforts have not gone unnoticed, and are much appreciated.

    Take care (73),

    David Phillips
    AK4AI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a brain tumor survivor. I did not have cancer but nearly died due to the fact that it took 10 years for me to be diagnosed!

    I am writing an ENCOURAGEMENT BLOG for people going through major life trials. Please visit http://weepingintodancing.wordpress.com/ and share it with others. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete