Contributors

20 September - Doctor appointment

An appointment with our GP today. For the last few weeks I have been bothered by a fungal infection causing patches of dry, itchy, scabby skin around both my ankles. It is probably the result of my immune system being weakened. I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago and she prescribed a steroid-based ointment which had no effect at all. Now I have been given a different ointment to try which I hope will be more effective.

The GP asked how my walking was coming on. I told her that I was fine walking on level ground with my eyes focused straight ahead but that I still tended to lose my balance if I turned my head, for example to look over my shoulder or down at my feet if I had to negotiate uneven ground or dodge around pets or small children.

The doc got me to close my eyes, extend one arm and try to touch the tip of my nose. I did this with both arms and then repeated it. Each time, I missed my nose by a couple of inches. The doc said that she is not a neurologist but she thinks that the part of my brain that deals with balance has been damaged and so I am keeping my balance using my vision mainly. She doesn't think that the lost ability will come back - my brain is just learning a new way of dealing with it.

One day I will have to see if I can still ride my bike. I have ridden it down the road and back one time since my brain surgery - but that was probably before I started the radiotherapy.

6 comments:

  1. That all makes good sense Julian. It is also surprising how well people who lose sight in one eye manage without 3D vision by using visual clues to judge distance. Hope the foot problem soon clears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julian,

    This is Manoj. I just found your blog. I like your spirit and your attitude.

    My best wishes with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your courage is an example to us all, Julian, it certainly puts my own physical problems into perspective.
    Cheers from your neighbour (well almost) in Barnard Castle.
    Jon G4FUT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julian,

    I feel a bit embarrassed about writing publicly, but I didn't want to intrude with an email. I thought that, when you have time and energy, you may check out the comments section of the blog.

    This is Piero, MM0TWX, an "Italian form Glasgow" currently living in Geneva, Switzerland (HB9DSU). I am particularly touched by all that you write, for various reasons. There is the kinship of amateur radio, of course, and there is the fact that my closest friend, my mountaineering rope partner, 38, two young sons, was diagnosed ten months ago with your same disease. Seeing him leading a VI degree rock climb exactly 100 days after devastating brain surgery, and in the midst of chemio/radiotherapy, was definitely one of the high points in my life. I most definitely look forward to hearing about your next bike outing!

    There is also a professional reason, however, and this is what makes me a little shy about posting here. I am a medical doctor and university lecturer, and I am in the process of leaving my academic career to give a practical outlet to a scientific and cultural interest that has thoroughly taken over my intellectual life. In 2014, I will return to Glasgow and begin in full working with the bereaved and the terminally ill, taking a non-religious but somewhat radical approach to counselling. After researching the subject for over 10 years, I am now convinced that, based on the available evidence, a rational person can indeed believe in an afterlife. This is certainly not the place to go into any detail, and I apologise again for approaching this subject on a public forum. Let me just say that, as a scientifically-minded person, you may be interested in an introductory book on the survival hypothesis I have written a few years ago and which has become a little bit of a classic in the sector. In case, a pdf copy can be downloaded for free at http://www.drparisetti.com

    I look forward to reading more about your extraordinary journey – you are indeed a source of great inspiration.

    73 Piero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Piero
      Interested in your work which is similar to my own as @cancerifa. Please email me george@cancerifa.com
      Regards
      George

      Delete
  5. Julian
    Found your site after spending the whole stay studying radio stuff for my Advanced exam next month.
    Having had cancer myself, I am now known as @cancerifa on Twitter. My own blog site has a couple of items you might find of interest: Dilsy's Story and a link to CancerOptions.co.uk
    Feel free to contact me if you wish.
    73
    George

    ReplyDelete