Contributors

16 October - Frustration

Olga and I went for a walk this afternoon to Brigham and back. It is probably the furthest I have walked since I was in hospital. It was also very nearly our last walk, ever. As we approached the T junction with the A66 we had to jump for our lives as a white van turning in to the lane almost ran on to the verge due to the driver steering with his left hand and talking into a mobile phone with the other. It was a near miss and we were both quite shaken.

Olga had a bit of a job persuading me to go for this walk because I couldn't be bothered. To be honest I've been a bit depressed the last few days. I think the main reason is the lack of improvement in the state of my head. I've described it before as feeling a bit dizzy, like I've had too much to drink. But it's a bit stranger than that. Everything seems a bit fuzzy and unreal, like I'm viewing the world through a glass window. I'm not as conscious of this feeling of unreality if I sit at home and read or listen to music or watch TV or just doze, so that's what I'm inclined to do.

The choices of where to walk starting from here are a bit limited. I'm getting fed up with walking round the block. It's so frustrating not having a car because there are so many places to go and things we could do if we could just drive a few miles before setting off. If we have to run the gauntlet of drunk drivers using mobile phones for daring to venture along some of the country lanes on foot then perhaps staying at home is the best idea after all.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very close call! When Julie and I were in Britain this past spring I was very impressed with the drivers there...not sure if this is an isolated issue or maybe we just ran in to all the good drivers. In Canada using your cell phone was just outlawed as well as texting while driving. To think what all you have gone through with treatment, diagnoses of cancer and so on then to be hit by a car......great that you and Olga were aware of this moron and got out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived nearer I'd be driving you both somewhere nice for a short (off road) walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this unreal feeling may be a brain device to alleviate some of the psychological pressure and distress you are no doubt experiencing. When you lose yourself in a book, film, or music, you are taking yourself out of present reality and putting yourself into another dimension, other world, other personage. When not so engaged, you experience something like the affects of strong codeine medication. In your case natural.

    Just rambling Julian. I hope you settle into a comfort zone soon. 73 Dick

    ReplyDelete