Contributors

5 August - Some improvements

Not much to report. I have been sleeping a little better the last few nights and there have been improvements in physical fitness and general well-being, though some days are better than others. I am able to use the desktop computer now but it doesn't do my eyes any good so I am limiting use of it as much as possible. I use my smartphone for most things and the computer for tasks where the big screen and keyboard are a positive advantage like using eBay or composing longer blog posts.

Still no news of my next appointment to begin the treatment.

Living one day at a time is liberating in a sense, in that one is no longer much concerned about the future. Like most people my age who do not have the luxury of a final salary based pension backed by an employer to retire on I have savings for retirement that are invested in stock market based funds. I would now be feeling extremely anxious about the falls in stock values brought about by the US deficit problem, concerns about the Eurozone and other matters. Now, there seems no point in worrying about it as whatever happens I'll probably never get to spend most of it anyway.

One paper I read recently suggested that there could be a link between stress and cancer. I wonder whether we would live longer and be happier if we all led simpler lives and were more self-sufficient instead of being slaves to work worrying about money, status and possessions?

4 comments:

  1. Julian,

    Your inner strength is to be much admired. Paul G4MD and I only caught up with your news last weekend when we returned to the Lake District to activate 5 summits. We are sorry to learn of what you have been through and are continuing to go through. The news has made us all the more determined to treasure the time that we spend on the Cumbrian fells.

    It was good to meet up with you at the Bitter End pub in Cockermouth in April. Our heart-felt best wishes, thoughts and prayers for the future.

    Gerald G4OIG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian:

    Your blog is an inspiration to me and many that are following it. We always pray for you and your wife always expecting the best possible outcome or better yet, the continuation of a long and beautiful life full of QSOs.

    73s,
    Ramon Tristani, KP4GE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julian,

    I guess the stress in our lives is compensated for by medical advances, but I'm not at all sure that the trade-off is a good one. I do know that since "retiring" my BP has dropped to a level I haven't seen for decades, which I attribute to the reduced stress in my life.

    While stress puts extra weight on your immune system, which is obviously key in fighting cancer, I think it's far more likely that increased cancer rates are due to the much higher exposure to all sorts of exotic chemicals that humans, especially in the industrialized world, are exposed to. A LOT of these chemicals mimic our own body's hormones, which as you know, are very powerful, needing only minute amounts to affect us.

    As always, thank you for providing interesting reading and we wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julian,
    Your thoughts about the simpler life making one happier are the same as the ones i have had for a few years now.
    I have so much in my life, but it hasn't stopped me suffering from depression. Then i read about what you are going through at the moment and realise that i have no valid reason to feel the way i do.
    I admire your strength and courage, and send you my heartfelt best wishes.
    Although i have only recently discovered your blogs i enjoy reading them, and have scrolled back into the archives to read your older entries with interest.
    Keep strong, and know that there are a LOT of us out here in blogland who care.
    Mike, G1HGD.

    ReplyDelete